October1st
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese Suspects for Trial Over N4bn Cocaine

Go down

Chinese Suspects for Trial Over N4bn Cocaine Empty Chinese Suspects for Trial Over N4bn Cocaine

Post  nex Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:48 am

The Chairman/Chief Exe-cutive of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Ahmadu Giade, has said that all suspects arrested in connection with the unlawful importation of 450.400kg of cocaine will be prosecuted in the country.

Those likely to be arraigned soon include two Chinese business men - Richard Wang, 62, an importer of textiles and shopping bags and Chiusen Fong, 54, a timber merchant - as well as a Nigerian, Alhaji Inua Mohammed, 56, a clearing agent.

It was gathered that the decision to arraign them in the country might have kept the Chinese in high spirit since the law in China stipulates capital punishment for drug trafficking.
The NDLEA boss said the agency was not considering extradition for now and that the suspects will be charged to court in the country as soon as investigation was completed.
The clearing agent Alhaji Inua, said that he was contacted by Richard Wang to clear the said container and take it to Ibadan.

“I am a clearing agent. Richard Wang came to me to clear a container. He told me the container contained cigarettes and gave me N3 million for the clearance. It was after my boys cleared it out of the port that NDLEA officers intercepted them” Inua
stated.

However, Fong in his statement said that he gave Wang N5 million to clear the container. When Wang was arrested, he said that he was working for one Chiusen Fong who lives in Kano.
That was how they were all nabbed. The seizure of 450.400kg of cocaine imported from Chile at the Tin can Island port Lagos agency sources revealed, was masterminded by an international drug syndicate that smuggles cocaine from South American countries to West Africa.

The anti-drug Agency had kept tab on the consignment which originated from Chile and passed through Peru, Bolivia and Antwerp to Tin Can Island Port (TCIP). According to Giade, “the drug was neatly concealed in customized floor wood inside a container which was cleared and taken to a private warehouse at Iganmu, Lagos”.

The NDLEA commended the United States Drug Enforcement Administration for supplying the intelligence that led to the crackdown. “We appreciate the assistance of the United States Drug Enforcement Administration for supplying the intelligence. I am also happy with the role played by the Serious Organised Crime Agency of Britain. What this signifies is a good and cordial working relationship based on mutual trust and respect. The Agency is determined to send all drug barons out of circulation to prevent criminal acts capable of disrupting peace and stability in the country. I have therefore called for total security alertness in all entry and exit points. State Commanders have also been placed on red alert to ensure effective surveillance and prompt arrests and seizures of any illicit drug shipment” Giade stressed.

The NDLEA boss also commended the perseverance and commitment of the undercover officers that spent days and nights on the field in making “Operation Chile” very successful. He promised that Nigeria will not only sustain the country’s leading position in drug control but also improve on it.It will be recalled that there was a large seizure of cocaine at the TCIP where 14.2 metric tons of similar substance was intercepted in June 2006.
nex
nex

http://www.October1st.com

Back to top Go down